Tomar

Leaving Lisbon, by train, I headed to the town of Tomar.  The train trip was fairly crowded and so the it wasn't the relaxed journey I was hoping for, but pleasant none the less.  On reaching Tomar the temperature had risen considerably and so I stopped for a leisurely lunch before making my way to the Pension Luz.  I couldn't check in and so I left my bag and headed out, and up, to the castle.
on the way to my Pension.
Heading up to the castle, and the first blue arrow that I will be following.

This is a Knights Templar castle and it is immense.  The ruins of the castle itself are huge, and the grounds even bigger.  The castle looms over the town, and though there is a road up there, I followed the steps, with the path going straight up the hill.  It was hot work, but I was pleased to see the Caminho do Fatima signs that I was to follow the next day, though not looking forward to a hill start, with a full pack.
In the castle grounds
The Convento de Cristo Chapel, in the grounds of the castle.

The castle was interesting to see, but even more so was was the Convento de Cristo, an astonishing Unesco World Heritage site. I spent several hours there, and still couldn't absorb all the information.  The blue tiles decorating the corridors and spaces throughout the building were beautiful.  Added to this was the chapel inside the convent.  This is a very unusual shape, with grand art works, basically from floor to ceiling.   
Blue and white tiles everywhere.
inside the Chapel
How's this for a refectory table?

Both the castle, and the convent, were founded by the Knights Templar from around 1160 to 1190.  The Knights had immense power and wealth, so much so that in 1312 Pope Clement dissolved the order, virtually overnight.   The Portuguese King Denis however, refused to disband them, and had them "rebadged" as the Order of the Knights of Our Lord Jesus Christ, thus ensuring their survival for many more years.

At the bottom of the hill, on the other side of the river is a simple little Church.  It is here that the Grand Masters of the Knights Templar are buried.  There are tombstones on the floor of these knights, but I must admit, it is a bit hard to follow.  Apart from a couple of women on duty as security, the church was empty, and so I was able to have a sing, with their permission  - the first sing on this journey!
Igreja de Santa Maria do Olival, where the Grand Masters are buried
and inside.
The octaganal Capela de S. Gregório.

I am running about a day behind with this blog, having reached Fatima.  But that story is for another day.

Comments

  1. Living vicariously through your adventures again is a joy Janet! Go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure you the adventure for me is a joy Nicole. Loving every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santiago de Compostela

The last two stages into Porto.

Pontevedra